1. Welcome to our new site, Guest!
    Dismiss Notice

Why did i get banned for doxing?

Discussion in 'Approved Player Appeals' started by Nicknaxx, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicknaxx

Nicknaxx Wise one

Your IGN: nicknax
    Reason you are punished: doxing?
    Why you should be unbanned/unmuted: I got warned for randomly saying "cameron" by Prettythoughts, and i was very confused about the warn because i dont even know a cameron and i didnt direct it to anyone, then i say in chat " who tf is cameron" then i get banned for doxing? like wtf!
    Staff member who banned you: PrettyThoughts
    Extra (optional): I didnt dox anyone, i dont even know how to dox, also i Prettythoughts said not to call anyone by their first name but i didnt!! i said cameron randomly and as a joke!!! also, people always call me by my first name (Nick) and they never get warned or banned for doxing? i should not be banned.

--- Double Post Merged ---

2. WalvisTimo

WalvisTimo Forum Elder

3. PrettyThoughts

PrettyThoughts Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

https://gyazo.com/eec713088ef1fc3cc2306215ad666589
    If a player is using another player's name with permission, the staff team generally likes to give that player one warning prior to any serious punishment. I gave you a very clear warning: don't use that name again as it is a player's name and it makes that player uncomfortable:

https://gyazo.com/0a294f1ed94a9b13d71902798f08fb5e
    https://gyazo.com/7c63b8e04965988c5806f1081d310aa8
    https://gyazo.com/70e9cae06f4ffb5cedfa02a69793b044
    https://gyazo.com/04cad93e32c7ccce5eba4cf6ee65c441 (The screenshot I provided nicknax proved that he had used the name before without permission: https://gyazo.com/b267b4c8cd76913ea5cccbabd76d9f84)
    https://gyazo.com/e1c6f0de9aefe38beaab7fafe041415a (I sent a message following this one that literally said "if you do it again, you're going to get banned.")

I made it very clear that if you used this person's name again, you would get banned. Shortly after I warned you quite thoroughly, you used this person's name again by asking "who tf is cameron." I don't really care if you were confused who it was. I made it very clear that it was a player on the server and that they were uncomfortable with you posting their name in chat. You ignored my warning and used it anyways. You're not banned for getting this person's ip or whatever and compiling a full dox and then leaking it; you're banned for leaking their name after I asked you to not do so again. I'll give you an opportunity to respond as I'd like to see if there's an actual reason why you believe you should be unbanned.

OSwordSlasherO and Joiined like this.
  4. Whooped

Whooped FEARLESS
    Retired

get fooocked

5. Nicknaxx

Nicknaxx Wise one

get fucked? i dont even know who cameron is

6. score31

score31 Resident Elite

usually its pretty getting anal'd but your the one that got fucked cy@

7. EnderMC

EnderMC FearPvP Fanatic

You're not too bright are you? So if I said random names in chat, and you msged me to stop because you're aware that that's someone's name YOU'RE THE ONE THAT GAVE OUT PERSONAL INFO, Nick did not know that's someone's name until you confirmed that it is someone's name, which I'm guessing that you confirmed that's alex's name, really to solve this issue you can apologize for giving out another personal players name, unban nick, and hope he doesn't want you demoted for doxing hin etc

8. ChivoX

ChivoX Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This guy just likes causing problems doesn't he. Now he's gonna call the server and staff team bad and him or one of his members is gonna call me or pretty retarded.

Joiined and PrettyThoughts like this.
  9. PrettyThoughts

https://gyazo.com/39aec5dc9d30fa344b3699b9c601db8d
    Screenshot confirming that Haywire knew who this player "cameron" is (taken from the perspective of the player)!

EDIT: Irrelevant. Not considered part of the ban reason.

#9 PrettyThoughts, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  10. Nicknaxx

Nicknaxx Wise one

who's skype is that wtf?? also skype screenshots dont count as "proof", thats faked
    This ban is complete bullshit, i legit didnt know you cant say random names in the chat, also even if i did mean to say someones name on purpose( which i clearly didnt) i didnt direct "cameron" to anyone i just said it randomly, i know i was warned i get that, but i was very confused why i got warned because players have said my name before, i didnt even mean to to say "who tf is cameron" in public chat it was meant to be said in my faction chat, i did not dox anyone and im guessing Cameron is someone in unstabled, but i had no clue of that what so ever. I should not be banned for doxing.

11. PrettyThoughts

The only reason I have not denied this yet is I'm a bit conflicted since it was just a name posted in chat and I feel like a permanent ban might be a little bit harsh. I'm going to ask for multiple staff opinions before making a decision.

12. Nicknaxx

Nicknaxx Wise one

I legit did not mean to say cameron again, i though i was in faction chat and thats why i said "who tf is cameron", do you think i wanted to be banned again?

13. Devoured

Devoured Resident Elite

PrettyThoughts my faction members always say my name in public chat its not fucking dox you know how many people in the world have the same name as me?

14. Nicknaxx

Nicknaxx Wise one

Thats exactly what im fucking saying, people call me by my first name all the time

15. EnderMC

EnderMC FearPvP Fanatic

If I'm being for real I do not feel that this was wrong at all, the only "wrong" part was that pretty told him to stop and he didn't, maybe a 3 day ban for not listening to staff
    I'm thoroughly confused

16. Devoured

Devoured Resident Elite

Wait so he got banned for saying a name on skype? huh?

17. PrettyThoughts

Sorry for including that screenshot! I was trying to make a point but I don't think it was very clear. It's irrelevant nonetheless.

18. EnderCat8

EnderCat8 New Member

Since when is saying someone's first name in chat considered doxing? Let's first consult the rules, which I wrote when I was admin (circa Fear 3.0): it says that doxing is "giving out another user's personal information..., IRL name,..." A person's legal name is their full name on their birth certificate. You can't legally sign a document with just a first name as it isn't unique to you. Claiming that you've been doxed because someone knows your first name does not mean that someone knows your IRL (full) name.

In the U.S. alone, there are 65,020 people with the first name of Cameron (source). When I was a public figure on this server, players would call me by my first name in chat all the time. Like the defendant stated, people have called Nicknaxx "Nick" in chat before, and that has never raised any eyebrows.

Nicknaxx didn't know or post the player in question's IP address, IRL address, or IRL full name. For all the staff member knows, the "victim" could be lying about their first name to get Nicknaxx banned. I falsely banned someone once because they claimed to be doxed... It's really easy to do if you think about it.

Think of this in a legalistic way: Keeping this ban sets a dangerous precedent of no (possible) real names in chat. Does that make sense?

Joiined likes this.
  19. PrettyThoughts

If that's the case, you're justifying the leakage of personal information as long as it's not complete? So I could give out someone's city or their age or their mother's name but, as long as it's not complete, it doesn't matter because there are so many people who share that same information? I wouldn't be comfortable with people using my first name publicly in front of a bunch of people ages 12-21, many who find doxing and ddosing amusing. This is a video game. There's no reason to bring IRL information into it. He had the opportunity to stop; he chose to push the limits and ignore a staff warning which then resulted in his ban.

I don't appreciate you trying to use your seniority from 7 maps ago to mock a justified ban. The rules have changed. The staff team has changed. We're trying to make the current toxic community a bit more welcoming. Permitting the leakage of personal information does the opposite. I am considering other options instead of a permanent ban because I understand a permanent ban is a harsh punishment. However, until I get a few more staff opinions and finalise a compromise, the ban will remain.

Although I completely disagree with what you've stated above, I can respect your opinion nonetheless.
    Reduced to 1w. Tell your boy Slanged to quit trying to cause a riot in chat.

Locked.

Dwinky and ItsSirdz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.